Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Get Fresh Tuesday...

So, I wanted to do a weekly new music post, but I felt a little awkward just walking around jacking other music blogs for material.

Then I realized that that's how 90 per cent of music blogs operate, and I decided that if it's good enough for The Guardian Online, it's good enough for me. So, with no further ado, I present the inaugural edition of Get Fresh Tuesday.

1) "Huesca" - Model 500, from Feel My Bicep

I've only really started to "get" techno in the last three or four years. Before that, it was the electronic genre that I had the most trouble wrapping my head around. When I first got into electronic music in my late teens, techno just wasn't didn't have the same kick-your-ass visceral rush as drum n' bass, my genre of choice.

Now that I'm a little older, I can appreciate techno's less aggressive, less muscular vibe and get behind it's robot-funk.

"Huesca" is the newest output from Juan Atkins, one of techno's founding fathers. It's all sharp kicks, moody keys and squelching basslines. It's honestly got me so jacked that I can't breathe.

2) "Frankencottage" - Dark Mean, from YouTube via Guardian Music Blog

So, I found out about a band from Hamilton, Ontario, about 90 minutes from my house, via a blog from the UK. I don't know how I feel about this.

On one hand, it's always good to find out about fresh Canadian talent. On the other hand, I feel like sort of a chump that I found out abouty Dark Mean from them, and not the other way around.

Dark Mean play the sort of danceable indie rock that gets hipster kids dancing, but it's less The Rapture and more Joy Division. Like the almighty Division, Dark Mean manage to successfully parlay dancey, ass-shaking high hats, swirling guitars, and an overarching feeling of loneliness. Good stuff.

3) "Comme à la Télévision" - Omnikrom, from YouTube

This is the only one I didn't jack from another blog. Exclaim gave me a review copy of Comme à la Télévision, and not only was it the first unabashedly positive review I've written for them, it was one of the best albums I've heard in a long-ass time.

Omnikrom are in kind of weird spot right now. As far as I can tell, they're verging on mainstream popularity in Quebec, but don't even show up on the radar in the rest of North America. That's not entirely surprising, being as they only rhyme in French, but if English-speaking audience can manage to get behind Spanish-language reggaeton tracks, there's no reason they shouldn't be able to get into Omnikrom. If and when they tour English Canada, everybody needs to go see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment